Ateneos are cultural centres, set up by anarcho-syndicalists as places of affinity, education and outreach. This blog aims for similar ends, exploring anarchist values of solidarity, liberation, and mutual aid as they relate to Aotearoa New Zealand and the struggle for mana motuhake/self-determination. In place of fixed colonial narratives of division, intergroup hierarchy, and essentialism, it aims for a space of multiplicity, both fluid and communal, interconnected and diverse – in the famous Zapatista catch-cry: a world where many worlds fit.
For updates as they happen
…pop your email in here x
- 2020, The Flames, and Where we go Next: In Dialogue / with Sam Te KaniThe last few months have given credence to Lenin’s claim that “There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.” It’s been a wild (ongoing) ride, shattering whatever sense of normality late-stage capitalism allowed and sending many – myself included – into the dark space of unknowing that accompanies a breakdown in our collective sense-making.
- How to Stop Global Destruction (& Build Flourishing Local Communities)“In the end, the only power that any of these [corporate] institution have… are the power that we as citizens yield to them. And they remain in power because we accept their legitimacy… If we withdraw that legitimacy they lose their power over us.” – David Korten (2011) * It’s no secret that the world is … Continue reading How to Stop Global Destruction (& Build Flourishing Local Communities)
- Shut Down Diaries III: A Walk to the Grave / And Back“Historically, pandemics have forced humans to break with the past and imagine their world anew. This one is no different. It is a portal, a gateway between one world and the next.” – Arundhati Roy The water seemed clearer, translucent. Was it the weather, or the lockdown? Across the harbour, a sole ferry burned its way … Continue reading Shut Down Diaries III: A Walk to the Grave / And Back
- Shut Down Diaries: The Social Dilemma“Planning for something Simple on this side of complexity, is not the same as preparing for something Tactical on the far side… We’re working in the realm of may happen, may work, may not, but the trick is not to be bounded..” – complexwales.com On the last day before lockdown, I woke at 5am, my heartbeat … Continue reading Shut Down Diaries: The Social Dilemma
- Shut Down Diaries: Day 1“In an entangled and entangling world, abandonment is not possible…” – Bayo Akomolafe (2020) I am in the kitchen, making cheese on toast. Hamish has a monitor set up at the table, his laptop to the side. The new normal, I muse. “More just figuring it out,” says Hamish. Adjusting. Then Anna comes in – “Did … Continue reading Shut Down Diaries: Day 1
“we must evade assumptions that the future is that singular direction ahead. Like virtual particles in a quantum field, multiple futures pop in and pop out of possibility”
– Anna Tsing, The Mushroom At the End of the World